The Accidental Prime Minister is an upcoming 2019 Indian biographical political film, presented by Rudra Production (UK), Bohra Bros in association with Dr Jayantilal Gada (Pen India Limited). Film is directed by Vijay Ratnakar Gutte and written by Mayank Tewari.
The movie stars Anupam Kher as Dr. Manmohan Singh, the economist and politician, who served as the Prime Minister of India for the period 2004 to 2014 under the United Progressive Alliance. The much awaited film, to be released before the 2019 elections, is based on the 2014 memoir of the same name by Sanjaya Baru.
The trailer begins with the note: 'The film is based on the book The Accidental Prime Minister by Mr Sanjaya Baru (who served as Dr Manmohan Singh's media advisor during his first term as prime minister). All characters, events and incidents are based on the book and have been fictionalized for dramatization.'
The disclaimer further adds: 'Nothing in the film is intended to defame any person dead or alive.'
Fictionalised for dramatisation? Really?
Former Censor Board chief Pahlaj Nihalani said, filmmakers will need to obtain a No-objection certificates from former Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Indian National Congress President Rahul Gandhi for the film.
- Anupam Kher as Manmohan Singh, the former Prime Minister of India
- Akshaye Khanna as Sanjaya Baru, political commentator
- Suzanne Bernert as Sonia Gandhi, former president Indian National Congress
- Aahana Kumra as Priyanka Gandhi
- Arjun Mathur as Rahul Gandhi
- Abdul Quadir Amin as Ajay Singh
- Vimal Verma as Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Avter Saini as Lal Krishna Advani
- Anil Rastogi as Shivraj Patil
- Ajit Satbhai as P. V. Narasimha Rao, former prime minister India
- Chitragupta Sinha as P. V. Ranga Rao, Elder son of P.V.Narasimha Rao
The movie is set to be released on January 11th 2019.